Here is something to think about: the number of
divorce petitions being filed increase significantly around Valentine’s
Day. Many Houston divorce attorneys have noticed this interesting figure,
and it certainly begs discussion. On a day meant to celebrate the bonds
we share with our partners, many people remain unfazed by the hearts,
chocolates, and flowers.
There must be something about this day that prompts people to reflect and
make an accurate assessment of their relationship.
Divorce is a major, final step. If you have mulling over the reasons whether
or not you should pursue a divorce, best be sure to know what the road
ahead will look like. It always helps to consult first with a knowledgeable
Houston divorce lawyer.
Tips to Consider Before Divorcing
- You and your spouse both understand and have a game plan for your respective finances.
- You and your spouse are both in agreement about how you will deliver the
news to children and how you plan to handle raising them.
- You and your spouse have tried other options to resolve matters, such as
time apart and separation and believe divorce is the healthiest option.
- You have considered where you plan to live and where your children will live.
- Never speak with your spouse’s attorney or sign off on any documents,
as you may be agreeing to something that you do not want.
- You have considered the financial impact--divorce can become incredibly
costly unless you plan carefully. The costs could involve the legal paperwork,
court fees, as well as unanticipated expenses. If you can work out a compromise
with your spouse about how you would like to handle matters such as property
division, child support, and spousal support, the entire process runs
much more smoothly.
As always, feel free to contact the Law Office of Kathryn Marteeny for
additional legal insight about your case. We have
more than 30 years of legal experience and thorough knowledge of Texas law. We can help you find the resolution you need.
Schedule a free appointment with us today!