According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, one women
is fatally shot by a spouse, ex-spouse, or dating partner every 14 hours.
In 2016 alone, there have been 499 domestic violence related gun fatalities.
DVAM aims to bring awareness to the public about this issue.
What started as a “Day of Unity” in October 1981 developed
into a week of local, statewide and national activities devoted to mourning
the those who have died because of domestic violence and connecting individuals
together working to end domestic violence. Eight years later, U.S Congress
passed Public Law 101-112 which designated October as National Domestic
Violence Awareness Month (DVAM).
Signs of an Abusive Partner
An abuser can be anyone. Domestic abuse is not limited to cisgender, heterosexual
couples, domestic abuse can occur between any type of relationship, from
all cultures, groups, economic levels and religions. Knowing what signs
to look for in an abuser could help you or a loved one from becoming a
LGBT Domestic Abuse)
Common characteristics of abusers include:
- Abusers have a tendency to objectify their victim.
- They deny the existence of or minimize how serious their behavior and actions
are as well as the effects they have on their spouse and/or family member.
- Domestic abusers often feel like they are inadequate or powerless and often
have low self-esteem.
- Abusers can seem like a charming, nice person to people outside of the
- Abusers can be extremely jealous.
- They may sabotage victim’s ability to go to work or school.
- Abusers take control of finances by refusing to give the victim money for
How Law Office of Kathryn Marteeny Can Help You
If you are being abused by your partner, you may feel it is impossible
to change your circumstances, but it is possible. At
the Law Office of Kathryn Marteeny, we have spent the last 30 years providing victims of abuse with the legal
representation they need in order to feel safe. Whether you are looking
to file a protective order or are would like to file for divorce, our Houston
family law lawyer can help you.
Something as simple as picking up the phone could help you change your
circumstances. We are ready to help you today,
give us a call.