Skilled Family Law Attorneys in Houston
Alimony, or spousal support as it is known in Texas, is any pay provided
by one spouse to another during and after a
divorce to provide for their upkeep. Couples have the option of either settling
on a maintenance amount by themselves beforehand or the court will determine
an amount to be paid. If you are going through a divorce, our Houston
divorce attorney can advise you throughout the asset and property division
process so you are treated fairly throughout.
The Law Office of Kathryn Marteeny has over 30 years of legal experience
which we put to use on our client’s behalf. We earnestly pursue
the best outcomes possible and our successful track record is due to our
skill at designing an effective roadmap to achieve our client’s
goals and deep understanding of state law. Turn to our firm when you have a
family law issue.
How does maintenance work?
Since Texas family courts assume no spousal maintenance is needed, the
party requesting maintenance will need to convince the court that an effort
has been made to earn an income or acquire new skills to this end.
If the court deems maintenance to be appropriate, it will take into account
- Length of the marriage
- Each spouse’s education and employment skills
- Each spouse’s financial resources at the time of the divorce
- Age, work history, earning capability, and health of the spouse seeking
- If either spouse is paying child support
- If either spouse spent community funds excessively or destroyed any joint property
- Property each spouse brought to the marriage
- If either spouse was a homemaker during the marriage
- Any acts of adultery or cruelty by either spouse
- Any history of family violence
Maintenance is designed to last the shortest length of time possible, to
allow the receiving spouse to be able to earn an income which meets their
basic needs. An order of spousal maintenance will end before the scheduled
end date when either spouse dies, or the spouse receiving the maintenance
remarries or lives in a permanent home with someone in a romantic relationship.
We Work to Achieve Your Goals
Let our Houston spousal maintenance lawyers work alongside you whether
you are looking to receive maintenance or it is being ordered of you.
We can fight to ensure your fair treatment and to protect your rights
during the entire process.
Speak with our firm right away to discuss these rights—(713) 936-2300!