Move-Away Cases in Texas

Trust Our Houston Family Law Attorneys to Help

Few things remain constant in life, including job and relationships. If you’ve gone through a divorce as a parent, you may not stay in the same city until your children grow up. Some people find jobs in other states or get remarried and want to relocate to a new town. Depending on how far away you go, this could be a problem. If you’re thinking of relocating, or your ex is thinking of moving away with your child, talk to one of our skilled Houston family law attorneys as soon as possible.

Call us at (713) 936-2300 or fill out our online form to schedule a case consultation today!

Joint Custody

Texas law will usually be on the side of shared custody, if not shared physical custody then shared legal custody. This means the court has decided both parents have a right to make important decisions about their child, including where the child lives. The court will also prohibit the “primary parent” from moving outside a particular range, such as the child’s county.


If the secondary parent decides to give permission for the primary parent to move away with the child, the parents will have to inform the court of the new arrangement. If the secondary parent disagrees with the child’s move, he or she will have to file an application for a temporary restraining order, which prevents the primary parent from moving until a court can hold a relocation hearing. At the hearing, the parent who wishes to move will have to show compelling evidence the proposed move would be in the child’s best interests.

Talk to Our Skilled Attorneys Today

If you need help dealing with a relocation, call us today. Our attorneys at the Law Office of Kathryn Marteeny have more than 30 years of legal experience to offer your case. We have helped many Houston families through difficult situations, and our lawyers are dedicated to making the experience as stress-free as possible. Let us take a look at your situation and offer our legal advocacy.

Contact us at (713) 936-2300 or fill out our online form to schedule your case consultation today.

Contact The Law Office of Kathryn Marteeny

Put More Than Three Decades Of Experience To Work For You